Traumatic news stories are hard to escape - but they don't have to overwhelm you
1. Remind yourself that it is normal to feel stress when witnessing the suffering of others.
2. Take a break from the news feed. Turn off the television or stop scrolling. Ground yourself by focusing your attention on your own surroundings and reminding yourself that you are safe in this moment.
3. Take care of your physical needs: stay hydrated, go for a walk, stretch.
4. Practice doing random acts of kindness.
5. Center yourself with thoughts around what you can do to make your community a better place.
6. Find your tribe of like-minded, kind, supportive people!
For more tips on how to manage your anxiety, follow the Healing Hearts Blog.
Written by: Hazel Navarro, LICSW